Wednesday, January 9, 2013

2012 in Review & 2013 Preview

I saw this on another blog that I was looking at and thought I'd do the same.  The blog I found it on answered only for 2012, but I'm going to answer both for 2012 and 2013.

1 - What did you do in 2012/will you do in 2013 that you've never done before?

I'm not sure I can really say there is anything I did in 2012 that I've NEVER done before.  I did follow a training program for my running throughout the entire year, rather than just for bits and pieces.  I guess I can say that I ran 4 Half-Marathons in a single year, which I've never done before.  For 2013 I've got 5 Half Marathons scheduled, and may try to throw a 6th one in there somewhere.  I am also taking an online course  through edEx and Harvard University that should be interesting.

2 - Did you keep your New Years Resolutions and will you make more for 2013?

If you read my blog you know that I did keep my New Years Resolution for 2012, which was to run two Half Marathons.  In 2013 I have, just today, decided on a resolution.  This one may actually be a little more difficult to achieve than last year's.  I've been striving to be a more positive person, and think I've done a pretty good job.  But I still get caught up at times talking negatively about other people.  My resolution for 2013 is to not do that.  It will be difficult and I will have to come back to this blog on occasion to remind myself.  I also plan to put a reminder on my calendar at work to remind me daily.

3 - Did anyone close to you give birth?

No one in 2012.  However, early this year already my nephew has welcomed his daughter in to world (Addison Marie) and another nephew and his wife will welcome their second daughter later this month (Abigail).

4 - Did anyone close to you die?

No.

5 - Which countries did you visit?

Stayed in the US in 2012, and doing the same in 2013.  I did take some vacations, making 3 trips to Las Vegas and a trip to NYC.  In 2013 I will make some trips to Lexington, Ky, Myrtle Beach, SC, Philadelphia, Pa, and NYC.

6 - What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?

A mild summer.  Weather that will allow me to run outdoors without completely overheating.

7 - What dates in 2012 will remain etched in your memory?

I don't think any specific dates will remain etched.  Of course the terrible shooting in Newtown, CT are an event that I will not soon forget, reconnecting with an old friend will also be something I'll remember.

8 - What was your biggest achievement of the year?

I would say running a personal best time for the half marathon that I ran in Columbus.  I hope to best that time in 2013, and maybe even look at running the half in under two hours.

9 - What was your biggest failure?

While I don't consider this a huge failure, it was somewhat of a failure.  In October I received news that I was not happy about.  My reaction to that news was not what I would have liked it to be.  I think I had a right to be upset by the news and to express that disappointment, but I could have, and should have, done it in a more professional manner.

10 - Did you suffer illness or injury?

Nope, I was pretty healthy throughout the year, and didn't sustain any injuries at all.  I'll knock on wood that I remain healthy this upcoming year.

11 - What is the best thing you bought?

I bought myself a new car in July.  At 46 years old, it was only the third time that a bought a car brand new, and the first time that I bought any car with the "extras".  It didn't come with all the bells and whistles, but it did have a few.

12 - Whose behavior merited celebration?

I would have to say my nephew Alex.  Not sure it was his "behavior" that merited celebration, but his accomplishments surely did.  Alex was selected to attend Buckeye Boys State in 2012 and was also accepted to the Neomed program at Youngstown State University.

13 - Where did most of your money go?

That's none of your business.

14 - What did you get really really really excited about?

I always get really excited about Christmas.  That's just me.  Christmas is the time of year I loved as a kid and still love as an adult.

15 - What song will always remind you of 2012?

Sorry, but I'm not that deep.

16 - Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder?

I have to say that I'm happier.  While not everything in my life is as I wish it were, I really do try to focus on the positive.  I have many good friends and am able to do things in my personal life that I enjoy (mainly running).  As long as I can keep this attitude, focus on the positive things in life rather than on the negative, then I'll be good.  As I've said before, we choose our mood.  We choose what things to focus on.  Every person in this world has bad things happen to them, it's called life.  We can focus on the negative or we can be happy that those bad things weren't worse (cuz they could be).

17 - What do you wish you'd done more of?

I wish I'd have lost about 5-6 more pounds.  I'm still just not quite there yet.  But that will come.

18 - What do you wish you'd done less of?

Although I think I keep a pretty positive attitude, I wish I'd have had an even better attitude more often.  Those few times when I did allow the negative to take over could have been better spent being happy.

19 - What was your favorite TV program?

- Big Bang Theory (Although it's sliding down my list)
- Mike & Molly
- Two Broke Girls
- Survivor

20 - What was your favorite film of this year?

There weren't any films that I was just blown away by in 2012.  For this year I'm still wanting to go see Les Miserables and Lincoln.  I may also try to see The Hobbit.

21 - What was the best book you read?

Sorry to say that I didn't ready any books through in 2012.  I did start reading a book the other day called "The Liberator" about a WWII units battles during the final part of the war.  That book was recommended to me by a World War II vet who I spoke to at work.  A very nice gentlemen who talked my ear off for a good 20-25 minutes one day at work.

22 - How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?

As long as I wasn't walking around naked I was good.

23 - What kept you sane?

Running.  I always used to think that the crap people claimed about exercise reducing stress was just that...CRAP.  But I have proven to myself that that is not the case.  Running has helped me to keep a positive attitude and to burn off the extra stress that comes when the negative creeps in.

24 - What political issue stirred you the most?

I'm pretty much done with politics.  What I've realized is that the vast majority of politicians, regardless of the party they're affiliated with, have no desire to help their constituents.  To coin a phrase from a movie, "They're so busy trying to keep their jobs, they forget to DO their jobs."  This is one negative that I haven't been able to find the "positive".  If our nation is ever destroyed it will be because of this.



No comments:

Post a Comment