Tuesday, June 26, 2012

A Race In Every State

A few years ago I set a goal to run a race in all 50 states.  I'm not sure if I'll ever accomplish that goal.  That's a lot of travelling, especially when it comes to running in places like Alaska and Hawaii.  However, I'm still going to give it a shot.  What a great way to get to see the country!

I've already run in several different states, but have a lot to go.

I've obviously run several events in Ohio.  Michigan was covered when I ran the Ohio-Michigan 4 mile run that started and ended in Toledo.  Although it started and ended in Ohio, the 4 mile loop course was in Ohio for 2 miles and Michigan for 2 miles, so it counts.

In Indiana I ran the Firecracker 5K.  That was a run I found when I Googled "5K Columbus" and found events in Columbus, Indiana instead of Columbus, Ohio.

In Pennsylvania I ran the Steelers 5K run, which ended by running through the tunnel on to Heinz Field and the finish line.  Pretty cool, even for someone who's not a Steelers fan.

In New York I've run the Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers run twice.  Without a doubt the most amazing 5K I've ever run.  20,000 people running through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel to the World Trade Center site is something I'll never forget.

In North Carolina I've run the St. Timothy's 5K run in Raleigh and the the Victory Junction Gang Camp 4 Miler.  I ran hills there that I've never had to run on any other course.

In South Carolina I ran my first marathon in Myrtle Beach.

My last out of state run was the Disney World Half Marathon in January of 2010.  I never thought I'd have to go to Florida to run a half marathon in snow and sleet.

In December I will add Nevada to the mix when I run the Las Vegas Rock 'n Roll Half Marathon.

So by the end of this year I will have run races in at least 9 different states.  A lot more to go, but looking forward to the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment