Monday, June 4, 2012

Must Run More

Last week was a good running week for me...after all the time I've been running I was finally able to find a comfortable pace and settle in..first for 3.1 miles and then again the next day for 4.2.  I started listening more to my body and knowing when to slow up the pace and holding back some at the beginning of the run in order to make it all the way through with no walk breaks.

Doing this made me change one of my goals.  My original intention was to run two 1/2 Marathons this year...the Cap City Half Marathon, which I ran in May, and the Columbus Half Marathon in October.  But I've added another half to the count.  Today I registered to run the Little Miami Half Marathon in Morrow, OH.

A typical half marathon training program for me is fourteen weeks long.  My conditioning right now puts me at about week #4 of that training program and is excellent timing for the run in August.  After that I roll back to Week #6 and continue training to prepare for the Columbus Half Marathon in October.

The tough part of any late summer or fall marathon is training in the Summer...not too bad if the weather is in the 70's and low 80's...but I have to hope that it doesn't get in to the 90's too much.  One other aspect of this is that, in July, I'll be in Las Vegas for a week.  When I went to Las Vegas last month it got up to 103, so I can only imagine how hot it will be in the middle of July.

This will also be a good opportunity to see how close I am to hitting the goals I set for the Columbus Half Marathon.  This one will be less about setting goals and more about training and preparing for Columbus.

No comments:

Post a Comment