Friday, June 1, 2012

We Can Really See it in Your Face

I think pretty much everyone who reads my blog knows me and knows that 6 years ago I had the Roux en Y gastric bypass surgery.  When I started that journey I weighed 440 lbs.  I lost 45 pounds prior to the surgery and another 155 pounds after the surgery.  I put some of that weight back on (not anywhere close to the 200 lbs I lost, but enough) and have been working to get the weight back off.  I've been pretty successful so far, having lost 18.5 lb in the last 7 weeks.

My brother has also been working on losing weight, and his latest blog entry expressed some "disappointment" in the fact that he had lost 10 lbs in the last month.  Now he's happy to have lost the weight, but was hoping to have lost more than that.  What he needs to realize is that 10 lbs. in a month is a good number...a really good number, and at that rate he will lose the 100 lbs he's hoping to lose within the year in which he's hoping to lose it.  In addition to that he is much more likely to keep the weight off.  One thing I've learned is that dieting always succeeds, but is never successful.  What I mean, is that, if you diet you will lose weight, but eventually you will put the weight right back on.  If you change your lifestyle and eating habits you will take off the weight, but be much more likely to keep that weight off and be healthier a lot longer.

But all of this was a lead up to this...my brother has heard something this week that I have found humorous.  I heard it a lot after my surgery...I had lost over 100 lbs and people would say "we can really see it in your face"..I'll let comedian John Pinette explain why that's so funny...


1 comment:

  1. LOL! Loved this one! Ironic because my mother said the same thing to me last week.

    ReplyDelete