Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Back to Work - Already Looking Forward to Next Vacation

Well, I got back home ok...even on time.  As a friend told me, in spite of the flight issues I had going out to Vegas, my return flights were sure to go off without a hitch...and they did.  The only "near hitch" was as I waited for my flight to leave Las Vegas to fly to Detroit.  As I was waiting, the airline employee came on the intercom to announce that they were looking for a volunteer to give up their seat on the flight, as they were overbooked.  Since I had no place to go that evening, but home, I made my way to the counter and was standing there before she even had a chance to finish the announcement.  The deal was that, if I gave up my seat, Delta would give me a $200 voucher and pay for my lunch while I waited for my next flight.  Not a bad deal, but would it work if I had a connecting flight?

The employee did some checking and let me know that I would be able to take advantage of the offer and switch flights.  I would not leave Las Vegas for two more hours, however, I would arrive back in Columbus only 30 minutes later than I was originally scheduled.  Not a bad deal considering they were also willing to pay me $200 and buy me lunch.  In addition to that, I would connect through Atlanta rather than Detroit, and my flight from Atlanta to Columbus would be First Class.  You know I was all over that offer!!  Well, unfortunately it turned out that two people didn't show for the flight, so they no longer needed me to give up my seat.

I will say this though, I'm done flying American Airlines, but was more than happy with the service I got from Delta.  If you read my earlier blog entry you know that I had booked my flights through Delta, but had go out to Vegas on American Airlines because of an issue with the plane.  My experience with American Airlines was less than pleasant.  Their employees were rude, the planes were cramped and dirty.  Delta employees were all pleasant to deal with and the planes were clean and much more comfortable.  Every plane, Delta included, could stand to add a little more room instead of packing people in like sardines, but I can say that I don't intend to fly American Airlines again, but am happy with the service and comfort I got from Delta.

I was at work 4 hours early this morning because of a markoff on third shift, and I started looking towards my next vacation.  Rather than this being an impromptu vacation, this week off has been scheduled for a while.  I started looking at flights and rooms to return to Las Vegas during that week and was able to find and even better price on the flight than I found last time, as well as an even better rate on rooms at the Excalibur in Las Vegas.  So I went ahead and booked the flight, and the room, and will be returning to Las Vegas.  Not sure if it will be quite as pleasant.  While temperatures on this last trip ranged from 90-103, the next time is likely to be even hotter.  "But it's a dry heat".  

No comments:

Post a Comment