Thursday, May 3, 2012

End of a long week and start of a long weekend

Today is my 10th straight day of work, but the last day before I start a 4 day weekend (at least that's the plan).  Yesterday was a 16 hour day for me, so I'm anxious to get out of here today.  It won't be a completely restful weekend, but it is one that I'm looking forward to.

Tomorrow I will head in to downtown Columbus for the Cap City Fitness Expo and pick up my race packet for this weekend's 1/2 Marathon.  On Saturday I have to be up early and ready to go downtown, fight the traffic and parking issues and then take part in the Cap City Half Marathon.  I'm looking forward to the "sense of accomplishment" that will come when I cross the finish line.  I'm NOT looking forward to the way I expect my legs to feel after running 13.1 miles through Columbus.  The course is a new course this year and will end at the Columbus Commons Park near the state house and they're advertising something that 24 or 25 bands along the course as well as many DJ's, so that should help keep my mind a little less focused on being tired and a little more focused on enjoying the run.

Rule #1 of any long run like this is to NOT wear a new pair of running shoes.  Wear shoes that you've had time to break in a little.  I will be wearing a new pair of running shoes.  The reason is that I waited a while before buying new shoes, thinking that some of my old running shoes were still in good enough shape to put more miles on them.  However, when I went to buy the new shoes I found out that my feet had grown longer and thinner.  Don't ask me how this happened, but my shoe size went from a 14EE to a 15D.  So, I'm really at less of a risk of blisters and sore feet wearing the new pair of shoes that are less broken in but the right size, than I would be wearing a pair of shoes that have been broken in, but are too small.  I also found out that I have been wearing a stability shoe and should be wearing a neutral shoe.  Doesn't mean much to a non-runner, but basically means that I could have ended up with some knee injuries if I'd continued in the stability shoes I'd always worn before.  Since I never really had any issues when I used to run before, I'm guessing that my footstrike has changed over the past couple of years, requiring me to change the type of running shoe I use.

I'm a little nervous because, at this point, I just don't want to be one of the people who are told to either "get on the sidewalk" so they can open the street back up, or "get in the van" so I can be driven to the end of the race.  I want to finish the race on the road, get a finisher's medal, take some time to let my legs recuperate, and then get ready for running my next half-marathon in October.  

No comments:

Post a Comment