Friday, April 27, 2012

Approaching Goal #1

In 8 days I will be checking off goal #1 for 2012, that being to run the Cap City Half Marathon.  I already know that it will not be a record pace by any stretch of the imagination, but I do plan to finish.  Really, what choice do I have?  Once I get out there on the road I've got to get back to my car somehow right?  Now in reality, there is a van that follows the race and picks up those who are unable to finish, but I think I'll be able to finish.  A couple of weeks ago I did my longest of my long training runs, logging 10 miles on the treadmill.  I was slow, but I did get in the 10 miles.  I've been walking a lot lately to try and keep my legs loose, while not doing too much running that might beat up on my knees.  Today I'll head to the store and see about getting a new pair of running shoes that I can break in between now and next week.   Although I've got several pair of running shoes at home, they are all a couple of years old and don't think they'd serve me real well on a run this long.

One of the advantages of running is that, even though you're out there with a lot of other people, you're also out there on your own with your own thoughts.  I have a playlist set up on my iPod used specifically for running that helps me keep the pace I want to keep and helps me take my mind off of the things going on around me.

I ran this event 2 years ago and remember cramping up at about mile #8.  On my 10 mile run a couple of weeks ago I also started cramping at about the 9 mile mark.  That's the worst part, because when my legs start cramping up they tend to cramp when I run, and I'm forced to walk in order to keep the muscles stretched.  As soon as I start to run...the muscles start to cramp, and there's really nothing more you can do at that point.  I tried stopping and stretching, drinking more powerade, whatever I could, but no matter what I tried, as soon as I started running, the muscles started cramping.

I'll do my best to hydrate properly and fuel properly during the run.  My "worst case scenario" goal is simply to finish regardless of the time.  My "next to worst case scenario goal" is to finish in no longer than 3:16:30.  And then the ultimate goal would be to finish in 3:09:57 or better.

My ultimate goal would actually be my slowest half marathon time.  But, considering it's been two years since I ran my last half marathon, I'm just looking at accomplishing the goal of running this event and finishing.  It will be nice to be out there on the road again, pushing myself beyond the normal 5K run.  Then it'll be time to head home and soak my legs in an ice bath and relax the rest of the day.

In October I'll run my next half-marathon.  As of right now, the goal would be to finish that in 2:51:18 or better.

No comments:

Post a Comment