Friday, February 3, 2012

Relaxation Week

I took this week off work.  Tomorrow will be my last "paid day off" and then I go in to my weekend (Sunday and Monday).  Tuesday I'll head back to work.

I started my training for one of the two half-marathons I'm registered to run in this year.  The Cap City Half Marathon will be in May and the Columbus Half Marathon will be in October.  I also got an email saying that the full Columbus Marathon in October had a slight change to the route.  Now, instead of running past the outside of the south end of Ohio Stadium, the full marathon will actually enter the stadium and run along the south endzone and out the other side.  I think it'd be even better for those running if they could incorporate the entire stadium in to the marathon, but the fact that they've routed the runners in to the stadium is, in itself, going to be a fun experience for those running the full marathon.

On Tuesday my dad and I took a drive up to Tiffin, Oh.  My dad's family is from the Tiffin area and there was a particular gravestone that he's been searching years for up there.  We drove blindly around Tiffin for a while before finally stopping and asking directions to get to Greenlawn Cemetery.  Once we found the cemetery we made our way to the office.  As it turned out, part of the reason we were unable to locate the grave in the past was because the areas are not marked, and even if they were, the area numbers that we had were not correct.  A cemetery employee was able to look up family name for me and then lead us right to the grave site we were looking for.  The site is where my great-great grandfather, John Jacob Burkhardt is buried.  It made for some interesting additions to the family tree that I've been researching for a while.  And added to some confusion since some names were either changed or misspelled over the years for other family members.  The research of this may take some time to figure out, but that's part of the fun.

Last night I went to dinner with a friend who shares my birthday.  I asked the waitress for a box to take home my dinner.  Well, apparently she thought that meant we were both done and started boxing up my friend's dinner too and brought the check without even asking if we wanted desert.  So, I had to ask for a menu so that we could order desert.  We were going out to celebrate our birthday...and what would a birthday dinner be without cake?

Today I went to see a movie.  A Joyful Noise, with Queen Latifah and Dolly Parton.  I wouldn't recommend it..at least not for the acting.  The music was terrific, but the acting was horrendous.  Save yourself the misery and just buy the soundtrack.

No comments:

Post a Comment