Thursday, February 9, 2012

Facebook and Life Saving

I had to laugh a little bit this morning when the subject of Facebook came up here at work.  More specifically, the fact that I am not on facebook came up.  My supervisor was telling me a story about how her step daughter saved a friend's life at school yesterday, but started the story with "If you had facebook you'd already know this."  I had to laugh at that comment because what I heard was, "Since you don't have facebook I've forced to interact with you on a personal level."  Yet another advantage of not taking advantage of some of the "advancements" in technology.

Now to the story of how my supervisor's step-daughter saved a life.  Apparently she was in line for lunch at her school when a friend began choking on a carrot.  Classmates began hitting the boy on the back trying to dislodge the carrot and Emma (my supervisor's step daughter) who is ten years old, walked up behind the boy and did the Heimlich maneuver, dislodging the carrot.  Now here is the mentality of the ten year olds in line.  Since they are not supposed to be talking in line, after this incident was over, all the kids quickly got back in line and stayed quiet, because they were afraid that if they were caught talking they would get in trouble and lose their recess time. 

Apparently 10 year old Emma was watching the Disney Channel just a few days prior to this event and whatever show she was watching was showing viewers how to perform both the Heimlich maneuver and CPR.  In my opinion it was devine intervention that Emma was watching that show just days earlier.

WAY TO GO EMMA!

No comments:

Post a Comment