Thursday, March 7, 2013

Walk in to a bar....

A priest, a rabbi and a Methodist minister walk in to a bar.  The bartender looks up and says, "Is this some kind of a joke?"

Why not laugh once in a while?  Laughing is proven to reduce stress.  Laughing and reducing stress both contribute to a better attitude and improved health.  Feeling better helps you to laugh more often.  Laughing is proven to reduce stress.  Laughing and reducing....well, you get it.

So often I meet up, talk to, work with, or just come in to contact with the "grass is always greener" people.  People who are never satisfied or happy with what they have.  No matter how good something turns out, how the great the benefits or how wonderful the person, they focus on the negative. 

I work for a great police department, in a communications center that is considered one of the best communications centers in which to work in Central Ohio and probably one of the best in the entire State of Ohio.  We get great training, the benefits are terrific, the equipment is top notch and pay is outstanding.  I'm not saying this just because I work there, but because, as a part time trainer at the Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy, I meet dispatchers from all over the State of Ohio and know what their centers are like and how they respond when they see our communications center.  Yet, I work with people who can find any and every possible thing to complain about here.  Now don't get me wrong, things where I work are not perfect.  There are some issues that occassionally need addressed and things that could be better.  But sometimes, the complaints I hear make me wonder what some of these people would do if they had to go get a job in a department where things were not as good.  What would happen if they had to go get a job in the private sector.  Things aren't perfect here, but they're a heck of a lot better than a lot of places that I've seen, and places where I've worked. 

I think it's habit though.  It seems like it's human nature to focus on the negative.  Heck, I'm doing it right now.  I could be blogging about the great things I see in human nature, but what am I doing?  I'm blogging about the negative.    OOPS!!!  So is it hypocritical of me?  Is blogging about the negative aspects of human nature and complaining about it contributing to the negativity? 

OK.  So I went on line and searched "Postive News Stories" and came up with this one.  If you've ever seen the movie "The Notebook" this will sound familiar.  But this is real life, not the movies.  91 year old Jack Potter and his 93 year old wife Phyllis Clayson Potter have been together for 70 years.  Phyllis is starting to suffer from dementia and losing much of her memory of their past.  But she still remembers Jack and reaches out to hug him every time he shows up to visit his wife.  Jack always kept a diary of his time with Phyllis, taking note of the times and memories they shared.  Now, each visit, he reads those memories to Phyllis so that she can remember or relive those memories with him.  Jack takes pictures each day of Phyllis' dogs and lets her know each visit how they are doing.  What a great example these two people are to everyone who seeks to have a truely loving relationship.

Let's all of us try to be more like Jack.  Talking or blogging about negativity IS negative.  So let's all of us be more positive.  I mean, what have we got to lose but our bad tempers?

No comments:

Post a Comment