Saturday, March 30, 2013

Lexington Has Hills

Well, I headed to Lexington, KY to run in the Run the Bluegrass Half Marathon.  I'd seen some things on their website that indicated that the course had some hills.  Knowing that, I really didn't set any goals for this run.  I had done pretty well in Myrtle Beach last month, and knew that I would not be able to beat that time.  Especially on a course with "some" hills. 

Well, they weren't kidding.  The Lexington course is nothing BUT hills.  I really don't think there was a level spot anywhere on the course, and that is not an exageration.  Each hill I ran up, I saw more and more people walking.  My time came at about the 9.2 mile mark when I finally decided that I was going to have to start walking on some of the uphills.  I did this for most of the remainder of the race. 

However, even with walking so many of the hills, I still finished with my second best time and only about 3 1/2 minutes slower than my Myrtle Beach personal best time.  I finished with an unofficial time of 2:08:07.  Given that, I now know that a sub two hour half is within my grasp.  Don't know if that could be accomplished in May, but I really do think I may be able to tentatively set that as a goal for one of my fall half marathons.

I decided to drive back a day early so I could watch the Buckeyes play in the comfort of my own home.  Since that game is about to start, I'll close this for now.

Happy Easter to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment