Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Can I Do Three???

As I am preparing for the Run the Bluegrass Half Marathon next weekend I began thinking about the summer.  I've been keeping pretty busy with my running having run a half marathon last May, August, October, December and February.  I will run my next half marathon next week and another the first weekend in May.  Then I will have a few months before my next half marathon, which is currently scheduled to be September when I run the Philadelphia Half Marathon.  So what do I do during the more than four months when I currently do not have a run scheduled?

Now I know that I'll probably pick up a local 5K run here and there throughout the summer, and I enjoy sometimes doing a "spur of the moment" run.  But I also like to have things scheduled in order to keep me focussed on running.

I've mentioned before that I have a goal of running a race in every state (at least all 48 of the Continental US).  After next weekend I will have run a race in 10 different states.  But I started checking out a weekend in the summer that may allow me to pick up three more states all in one weekend.  The last weekend in June may afford me that opportunity.  Getting the weekend off work that I would need might be a little difficult, but if I'm able to make it happen it would work like this...

On Friday afternoon I would drive to El Paso, IL and wake up the Saturday morning to run the "Jog for Jackie 5K".  I would then leave and head to McFarland, WI where I would run the Firecracker 5000 on Sunday morning.  After running that race I would continue up to Minneapolis, MN to run the Fun Run for Echo 5K scheduled early Monday morning.  I could then spend the rest of that day visiting some family that lives in that area.  On Tuesday I would have to drive straight back through from Minneapolis to Columbus in order to be back to work on Wednesday morning.

But it can be done.  Do I want to spend my weekend doing that?  Maybe.  It's a chance to get some states out of the way, and for the run in Wisconsin and Minnesota I would even have an opportunity to do a little bit of siteseeing.  In addition to those states, knocking out a run in West Virginia ought to be something I can accomplish before the year is out.  We'll see how the finances work out and how some other things line up, but if all goes well, I may be 14 states in to my goal by the end of this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment