Saturday, February 9, 2013

Time to Start

In one week I will be running my first of five half marathons for this year.  As has happened the last couple of times, I go in to this week optimistic about how I will do in this half marathon.  This morning I ran my last "long run" for this training cycle.  Since I'm in my taper, it was only 5 miles.  (Actually I ended up running about 5.8 miles). 

That seems funny to think about now also; the fact that when I talk about running 5 miles, I precede the "5 miles" with the word "only".  I remember when I was happy to be able to say that I ran 5 miles without taking any walk breaks.  Now I'm happy when my long run for the week is ONLY 5 miles long. 

Today's run went very well.  Typically I average anywhere from 9:30 to 9:45 per mile on a long training run, but today I was running about 9:10-9:15.  I judge my long runs based on my own perceived effort, so I run with the same effort every time and allow the time to be whatever it is.  That may be part of why I still have a little bit of a problem finishing a half marathon without taking any walk breaks.  My effort is fine for 5 or 6 miles, but I have to learn what the appropriate effort is to keep my legs going for a full 13.1.  It's almost counter-intuitive for a runner to slow down when the legs are feeling fine right now, but sometimes that's what needs to happen to make sure the legs keep up for the entire distance. 

Again next week I have that goal of finishing the half marathon without stopping to walk.  I learned some things with the mistakes I made in Las Vegas, and I also have the advantage of running Myrtle Beach early in the morning (Start time is scheduled for 6:30am).  Morning runs always seem to work much better for me than afternoon or evening runs.  I don't run the risk of eating too much during the day and my legs are fresh after getting a good night's sleep.  So yes, I am optimistic.  Also given that this is a pretty flat course, I think I have a real good shot a personal best time.

Besides heading to Myrtle Beach to run, this will be an opportunity to take a little time off and relax a bit.  Enjoy weather that will be a tad bit warmer, although it's not looking like it will be quite as warm as the last time I went down south.  I will, of course, get the pralines, and if they survive the trip back, will get some for my parents to enjoy.  I may take in this year's show at the Alabama Theater.  They always put on a very good show. 

I'll spend the time relaxing and enjoying my time away, but I'll have to get back to running pretty quickly.  At the end of March I'll be heading to Lexington, KY for my next half marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment