Monday, November 19, 2012

Surprised Myself

Yesterday I headed to downtown Columbus early for a 5K run.  I've cut back on the number of 5K events that I run compared to what I ran a few years ago, but this one sounded kind of fun.  The Hot Chocolate 5K also started earlier than most at 7:30am.

When I got downtown traffic was a little busy, especially for that early on a Sunday morning, but it appeared that everyone who registered for the run (several thousand) were all trying to park in the same parking garage.  The Hot Chocolate 5K is new to Columbus, and appeared to want to be a large event.  They did manage to register quite a few runners, but I was surprised by the lack of anything more from the event in the way of vendors etc.  But I enjoyed the run, and running a good 5K downtown is usually enjoyable.

As I started I could tell that my pace was a bit faster than I normally run, but I didn't realize just how much faster.  Typically, a "fast" pace for me is faster than a 10 minute mile (usually anywhere from 9:45-9:55/mile).  But when I got the first update from runkeeper on my phone, I was averaging an 8:40 per mile pace.  Rather than trying to slow down I decided to try and maintain my pace and see how far I could make it.  I quit worrying so much about the pace and listened more to my body, slowing down a little if I needed to, but still trying to push myself "just enough" throughout the race.

I ended up finishing the race at 27:55.  For me and very good time, with an average pace of under 9:00 per mile.  I felt really good about that time.  Just a little over a week earlier I had been concerned with how I felt my training was progressing as I prepared for the Las Vegas Half Marathon.  My times were slow, and on my long run I was not able to go the entire 10 miles without having to take walk breaks and without my legs feeling like someone had pounded them with a hammer.  But this week's training has gone well.  Just one day before running this 5K I did an 8 mile long run.  I finished that run averaging just under 10:00 per mile which, for me, is a great time for a run that distance.

I know I said that the Las Vegas Half Marathon was a run that I was going to do just for fun.  No goals other than to run the race and have a good time.  But I know that, if my training continues to go well throughout the taper period, I will be looking to see if I can run a PR (personal record).  The other thing I have to keep in mind is that the Vegas run is done at night.  My training runs tend to be much better when I run in the morning.  But then again, I did that 8 mile run in the evening after being up since midnight the night before and it went well, so who knows...

Another thing that surprised me this week was the scale.  I have been using myfitnesspal on the computer and through an application on my phone to log my food an exercise in order to lose weight.  I had been pretty successful with that, but as I get closer to my goal weight it has been harder to lose the last few weeks.  I had a nice jump back on the scale this week though, losing 3.5 pounds this past week to allow me (as my brother puts it) to move the bottom weight on the scale.  I'm now just nine pounds from my initial goal, once I get to that weight I will evaluate where I'm at, how I'm feeling, how my running is coming, and determine then if I want to maintain my weight there, or work to lose some more.  

No comments:

Post a Comment