Thursday, December 8, 2011

Simpler Times

As one of my co-workers was sitting here at work flying his remote control helicopter around the room, I went on Amazon myself and started looking for the helicopter.  I'll probably buy myself one sometime this week.  The conversation in the room turned to some of the older toys. 

There was once a remote control helicopter that was hooked to the controls by a wire.  It flew in circles and the object was to use the hook on the bottom of the helicopter to pick up objects and then land safely on the helipad.

Who can forget things like "Rock em Sock em Robots"?

A couple of years ago there was this huge craize for a game where the player would spin a top in an arena type setting.  The tops would bump against each other, and the last top spinning was the winner.  Basically it was a remake of a game my brother used to have called "Battling Tops".  Just a little modernized and somehow tied in to some cartoon or anime' characters.

Big Wheels were fun toys when we were kids. 


All of this made me think about the toys we used to have as kids.  I hate to sound like an "old man" but I don't think today's kids would appreciate most of the toys we played with as kids.  It was a simpler time with simpler toys.  I'm probably one of the few people my age who has no video game system in my home.  I don't even play online video games.  I remember getting our first "Pong" TV video game.

Then the original ATARI,

then Intelevision.

When I got out of the Army I went out and bought myself a Nintendo.

Although that was the ultimate video game (at that time) it would be considered ancient by today's standards.  Now, instead of using a joy stick or controller, the games out there use your body movements and voices to control the game.  Who'd have thunk it? 

It used to be that, if I wasn't at home and you tried to call me, no one answered the phone.  Then we started getting machines that would answer the phone for us and take messages.  Now, everyone just carries their phone with them.

It used to be that a friend was someone you talked to and visited with, now it's a number by which your popularity on Facebook is defined.  Ironically, joining Facebook is considered "Social Networking" even though it's caused people to be less social.  There's now a Neighborhood Socal Networking site which is designed for people who live in the same neighborhood so that those people can communicate with each other.  It's set up so that you have to "prove" you live in the neighborhood in order to join a group.  REALLY?  You need a social network to talk to your neighbor now?  Oh well, simpler times.

No comments:

Post a Comment