Friday, December 16, 2011

Do I or Don't I?

I'm hoping that when I get home from work today Able Roofing will have been there and replaced my gutters and downspouts on my house.  The question then is...if they were, do I then put up Christmas lights outside this far in to the Christmas season?

One co-worker says yes.  I'm still not sure. 

A few years ago I splurged a little on my outside Christmas decorations and got a box to plug my outside lights in to.  The box plays Christmas music and has six outlets attached for Christmas lights.  The six sets of lights then flash on and off in sync with the Christmas music.  It's pretty cool.  Not nearly as sophisticated as some of the huge displays you see other places, but pretty cool for my own little display in front of my house.

I was looking at pictures from last Christmas and realized just now nice the front of my house looked last year with all the Christmas lights out front.  So, if the gutters have been replaced, I'm leaning towards getting some outside lights up this weekend to finish up the holiday season. 

As for my last blog...no one has answered any of the questions...I'm disappointed.  My sister did send me a text message saying that she knows the answers, but wasn't sure how to comment on the blog in order to give the answers.  So, I'll go ahead with the "answer key" now...

"Why does Santa wear a red suit?"  The family of toy makers that raised Santa were known for their red suits.  It was their family attire.  So Santa wore his own "Kringle suit".

"Why does Santa slide down the chimney?"  The mayor ordered that all doors be locked to keep "the criminal" Kris Kringle from coming in to homes and leaving illegal toys.  So, in order to get in to the houses, we came in through the chimney.  It was a tradition he continues long after the rule of the mayor had ended.

"Why is Santa Claus also called Kris Kringle?" Santa was orphaned or abandoned as a baby and was adopted by the Kringle family.  They named him Kris..hence the name Kris Kringle.  At the time the Kringle's found the baby the only identifying item he had on him was a tag that said "Claus".  So when Kris Kringle became a "wanted person" for illegally distributing toys, he bagan using the name Claus as an alias and it stuck.

"Why does Santa put presents in stockings?" When toys were illegal the mayor would search the houses every morning to make sure toys hadn't been left for the kids during the night.  So Kris Kringle would hide the toys in the stockings that the kids had hanging by the fireplace to dry.

"Why does Santa have a beard?" Santa grew the beard to disguise his face when the clean shaven Kris Kringle's picture was posted on Wanted posters throughout the town.

"How does Santa get the reindeer to fly?"  Magic feed corn, a present from the Winter Warlock.

"Why does Santa laugh the way he does?"  Santa was taught to laugh by the animals at the north pool..specifically the seals.

"Why does Santa deliver toys on Christmas Eve?"  When Santa first started giving out toys he used to make his round nearly every night.  But as the population grew and Santa got older, it was too difficult to keep up with all the demands.  So he decided to go out only one night a year, and chose the most holy of all nights.

Now, how do I know that Sombertown was in Germany?

No comments:

Post a Comment