Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Busy Busy Busy

Well the next few months, as I've said before, are shaping up to be pretty busy, both personally and professionally.

Professionally, our communications center officially begins dispatching for a second fire department on October 1st.  In addition we will start taking the landline 9-1-1 calls for that area so I'm expecting that phones will be staying pretty busy after this month.  We currently have one new dispatcher in training and two others have received conditional offers of employment with hopes that they will be on board and starting their training by early October.  So...in the first week of October the following will be happening:

1 - Three new dispatchers being trained
2 - Dispatching for a second fire dept.
3 - The Presidents Cup Golf Tournament comes to Dublin
4 - Answering 9-1-1 calls for two cities in addition to being a regional wireless 9-1-1 call center.

I also received a summons in the mail to report for jury duty for that week, one of our supervisors will be off work on maternity leave...let's see...is there anything else happening in October????

Personally, I am currently in my taper period leading up to the Rock 'n' Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon in a little over a week.  Just to throw a wrench in the works, I decided to change my entry for the Columbus Half Marathon in October to the full marathon, so I'm in a period of trying to taper but also build mileage.  That pretty much means that the week after I run Philadelphia, my long run for the week will be a 20 miler.  Nervous you ask....ABSOLUTELY!!

I also realized today that I signed up and got assigned overtime the morning that I should be doing that 20 mile run.  Not a huge problem, as I can do the run the following morning instead, but it made me realize that as I sign up for the overtime that will be coming as a result of all the changes happening at work, I've got to remember to take my training schedule in to account.  This week is a great example of that.  For four out of my five work days this week I'm scheduled in at 2:45am instead of my normal 6:45am.  Since I typically do my training runs before work, I had to make some adjustments on the fly.  Fortunately, making "on the fly" adjustments is a pretty common occurrence, both in my work and in my running, so I'm able to deal with it without too much stress.

One would think that after getting through the Columbus Marathon in October that I'd be able to rest up a bit, but one would be wrong.  I then start preparing for the Space Coast Half Marathon, which will be held in Cocoa Beach, FL on the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend.  I have to do some careful planning that weekend in order to make the trip, get my packet for the race, and still be in position to watch the Ohio State - Michigan game.

But then I can relax right?  Nope, I've registered to run the Phoenix Marathon on March 1st.  So, it'll be right back to training when I get back from Florida.

Along with all of this, I've got a trip planned to head out to Nebraska to visit my brother for a weekend.  My sister-in-law has promised me a gourmet meal.  (I remember hearing something about bologna).  That weekend we'll be checking out an auto auction with some vintage/antique cars that have never been driven.  I'm not really a "car guy", but this sounded really interesting.  I've also registered to run a 5K in Iowa while I'm in the area that weekend, knocking another state off my list in my Quest For 48.  (Hey, that's what I'll call it now).

Interestingly enough, with all that's going on these next few months, both professionally and personally, I feel pretty good about all of it.  While it could be stressful, the fact that running plays a big part in all of this is actually the saving grace.  Any stress created by the busy schedule, the changes at work, the extra overtime, or anything else, is alleviated by running.  Running helps to relieve the physical stresses.  The runner's high is a real thing.  The relaxation I get from it is nothing short of amazing.  I'm able to keep things at work in perspective.  Are we going to busy?  Yes, but we've been busy before.  Are we going to be short staffed for a period?  Yes, but we've been shorter staffed than this and made it through just fine.

The more challenges you're faced with, the more opportunities you have to prove to yourself that you can face them, deal with them, and if necessary, beat them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment