Friday, August 16, 2013

Experts

Having spent the last few months back on Facebook I laugh at all the "experts" out there.  Not to say that I won't interject my own opinion plenty and get engaged in some debate and conversation on the issue.  But the biggest laugh I get come from the hypocrites.  I probably spelled that wrong, so I won't make fun of all the people or think loose means lose or to means too...alright, maybe I will.

The most hypocritical thing I see are the so called Facebook Experts.  I don't mean that they're experts about Facebook, I mean that they go on Facebook spouting their beliefs as if it is knowledge.  The best part was a debate I recently watched unfold (and admittedly took part in) in which one person criticized others for "spouting talking points" for their side of the argument, while they spent the entire debate spouting talking points.  When evidence was provided and cited, the other side would spout some more talking points but never provide any specific evidence to back their beliefs or refute the evidence provided by the other side.  Facebook Expert?  Or impersonator?

I once tried to get someone to have a conversation about an issue by giving me the benefits of their side of the issue instead of attacking and insulting the other side.  I'll quote, once again, a man I work with who told me, "If you spend more time putting down or attacking the other side of the argument than you do supporting your side of the argument, then there must be something wrong with your argument."  Expert?  Or impersonator?

As long as I don't take it too seriously, I can have a lot of fun calling out the so called experts.  It's not just Facebook.  They're everywhere.  But Facebook and other social media sites have really brought them out of the woodwork.

For me, I'll give you my argument.  If you can show me where my argument is flawed, I'll admit the flaw.  But I would ask this, don't be so intent on winning the argument that you refuse to listen to the argument. 

Leave the impersonations to the experts.

No comments:

Post a Comment