Sunday, October 21, 2012

Success!!! Well...mostly

Well, I completed the Columbus Half Marathon today and accomplished two of the three goals I had set for myself.

The funny part was that the goal I did not achieve was Goal #1, which is usually the easiest of the three goals.  That goal was to run the entire half marathon.  I did not do that.  At the 12.27 mile mark I did have to stop and walk.  When I stopped, my legs were so rubbery that they almost didn't hold me up.  For about 100 yards I think I looked like a new born foal trying to learn to walk...legs wobbly and barely able to move forward. 

I walked for 5 minutes, which was probably about 1/4 to 1/3 of a mile.  I did get back to running after that, which took me up the two steepest hills of the course (High St. to Nationwide) and then (Nationwide to Front).  After that, it was down hill to the finish line.

Goals #2 and #3 were time goals.  Goal #2 was to beat my last half marathon time of just over 2:28 and goal #3 was to run a personal best time, which would be mean running faster than 2:19.  I finished with a time of 2:16:29.  So overall I'm very happy with the results.

Two other friends from work were running also, so once I got through the post-run area I headed back on the course to meet up with them.  It didn't take me very long to find them, and I walked with them for about 1/4-1/2 mile as they finished up. 

Kristin, our HR rep at the police department, was running her first half marathon, and Linda, one of our records clerks at the department, was running again after finishing the half marathon a year ago.  They both were looking really good coming in to the finish and having a good time running together. 

Kristin's daughter seems to think that Kristin had an aneurysm since she was voluntarily heading to downtown Columbus on a cold October morning to run 13 miles.

Next for me is the Las Vegas half marathon.  I will not be setting any goals for that run, as it is going to be used as a training run for the Myrtle Beach Marathon, which I'll be running in February.  So Las Vegas will be run for training and fun.

After finishing up this morning, I headed home and took a nap.  A post run nap is the BEST kind of nap.  Slept like a baby!!

1 comment:

  1. Glado to hear you are doing so well with running! Definitely inspiring.

    ReplyDelete