Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Latest Update

I hadn't had a new entry in a while, so thought I should post something to make sure I'm keeping up on this and not letting it go by the wayside.  Blogging or journaling or whatever can be theraputic...but don't expect me to be able to spell everything correctly.  LOL

I got rid of my facebook page the other day.  A lot of people were surprised that I would dare give up facebook.  But the reality is that I survived for years without facebook.  It just had gotten too political.  Everyone seemed so concerned about being your "friend".  The reality is...being a real "friend" means that you don't have to rely on facebook to keep in touch.  The majority of people who were my "friends" on facebook were co-workers (who I see almost every day), family members (most of whom I see I talk to on a regular basis).  The only other "friends" were people who I went to high school with (most of whom didn't really associate with me in high school, and old army buddies.  Now don't get me wrong, facebook was a great way to find old friends who I had lost touch with.  If it hadn't been for facebook I might not have found the woman who I'm dating.  She was a friend I'd known as a child and had lost touch with. 

But it had gotten to the point where I couldn't post a comment about something I'd done because some people would get offended.  Drama permeated everything I did.  I would make a simple post about something that had happened to me or something I had done and somehow someone would take offense.  I found it amazing that people would take offense to comments that had absolutely nothing to do with them.  So I finally got to the point where I would just post non-sensical funny posts or jokes, or nothing at all.  At that point I realized that, if you really want to keep in touch with me, you can email me, call me or even...brace yourselves now...write me a letter. 

For me, facebook had served it's purpose.  It had become more of a way to find drama than a way to find old friends...so for me, facebook is no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment