Sunday, February 9, 2014

Starting my next Taper

I've hit the longest of my "long runs" for a while as I begin to look towards my first half marathon for 2014.  On March 1 I will be running the Phoenix Half Marathon.  This will be my 13th state in my quest for (at least) 48, as well as my 13th half marathon.  This is usually the point where I set my goals, but to be honest, I'm not sure what goals to set.  My last half marathon was not the greatest, that because of some poor habits on my part during the preparation and the fact that it came only about six weeks after having run a full marathon.

While my training has rebounded to some extent, and I expect to do better in Phoenix than I did in Cocoa Beach, it's still not feeling as good as it did just prior to Philadelphia, where I ran a PR, or before running the Columbus Marathon.

So, that being said, my goal for Phoenix would be to a sub 2:07.  An ultimate goal at this point would be to run a PR of under 1:57.  I really don't think that's in the cards, but some of that may depend on how I feel throughout the taper over the next few weeks.

I recently celebrated my birthday, going out with some friends and family for dinner.  I'm blessed to have the friends that I do, and this group represented a cross section of various parts of my life.  From an old high school friend, to a long time friend from my previous job, to former running friends and "posse" members, to current running buddies.  Throw in two of my nephews and their girlfriends and it made for a very nice evening.

Then on my day off I went out and bought myself some birthday presents.  At least that's the excuse I'm using for spending the money.

Speaking of tapering, as much as I like getting the overtime, it has been kind of nice not working as much overtime lately.  I've actually had my last two weekends off in addition to a vacation day.  I'm looking forward to a little site-seeing in Phoenix, as well as getting together with my cousin, who lives in the Phoenix area.  I want to try and get up to the Grand Canyon while I'm there.  I made that attempt a couple of years ago when I visited Las Vegas, but that area of the Canyon is controlled by the indian tribes who want to charge an arm and a leg to get in to the area.  Going from Phoenix will be through the National Park instead.  Time off is kind of at a premium right now, so I'll take advantage of the time when I can get it, and to be able to combine that with the blessing of running a race is always nice.

I may have to postpone my Nebraska run this year.  I wasn't paying attention to the calendar when I registered for the Laugh & and a Half-Marathon in Norfolk, NE on June 14.  The problem is this would be about a 13-14 hour drive.  On June 13 I will be teaching a class at the State Police Academy.  Being the last day of class, we usually get out fairly early.  But even if I am able to get out of there by 10 a.m.  I then have to drive at least 12 hours to get to Nebraska and then be up early the next morning to run a half marathon.  One word comes to mind....UGH!  So I may put that one off.  There is a half marathon that same day in Illinois (The Biggest Loser Half Marathon).  The drive is only about 8 hours away, which is not nearly as bad, but it would cost me a little more money, as I would have to pay for a hotel room.  Running in NE allows me to stay at my brother's place, which is only about 30 min. away from the race location.  The other alternative of course, is to just not run a half marathon that weekend.  I'm running plenty of races this year, but I hate to give up that weekend.  So we'll see what happens as the time gets closer.


No comments:

Post a Comment