Wednesday, December 19, 2012

When I Was Young

This morning I had the pleasure of doing something I haven't been able to do in a long time.  As I was getting ready for work I listed to a Christmas record.  I had decided the other day that I now had a room in my house with enough room to hook up my stereo.  I have not had my stereo hooked up for several years, and haven't used the turntable in an even longer period of time.

When I was young(er) part of the Christmas morning tradition was that dad would go downstairs and put a Christmas record on the Hi-Fi (That's right...I said "record" and "Hi-Fi" in the same sentence).

I've got a stack of records at home in my back room.  For those of you who are too young to understand what I'm talking about, records are essentially CD's made out of vinyl.  I had hoped to listen to some records on Monday, but after hooking up all of my stereo components I found that the needle had broken off the stylus on my turntable.  I was able to find a shop in Columbus that still sells parts and does repairs on old stereo components (including turntables) and was able to buy a stylus from them after getting off work yesterday.  I'll spend some time over the next week listening to some old Christmas records.  Some of these records are 50-60 years old, but still in wonderful condition.  After the Christmas season I'll look at getting some of my stereo components in to the shop to be "tuned up".  I've got a lot of records and cassette tapes I want to listen to.  But for now, I like the slight crackle coming through the speakers of a record that's not quite as clear as a CD.  I brings back a lot of memories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment