Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Good Running Weekend

One of the things I enjoy about running is seeing real progress.  When I first started running again late last year and early this year, I was running anywhere from 11:30 - 12:30 per mile.

My half marathon training program has 3 running days per week.  Saturdays are my "long run days".  This past Saturday my long run was 8 miles.  I'm usually pretty sore after a long run, but this past Saturday I actually finished the run fairly invigorated.  I made my typical walk down to the store and bought my post run chocolate milk and a bag of ice for my ice bath.  I went home and soaked in the ice water for about 25 minutes.  On Sunday morning, a day which is usually a non-running day, I ran the Scioto Miles 5K run at Easton Shopping Center.  I had my best run of the season, finishing in just over 30 minutes or 9:44/mile.  My 8 mile run the day before was run at faster than 11:00/mile.

So, I think it's safe to say now that one of my goals for the Columbus Half Marathon in October is to run the entire half marathon without any walking breaks.   This would be the furthest I have ever run without a walk break ever in my life.

My second goal would be to beat my time from my last half-marathon.

My "ultimate goal" for the Columbus Marathon would be to run a personal best.  That would mean running about 10:36/mile to finish in 2:19 or better.  That should be a tougher goal for me to meet this time.

Once that day is over I will jump in to training for the Myrtle Beach Marathon, which is in February.  I am scheduled to run the Las Vegas Half Marathon in December, and will be using that as my long run in my marathon training for that week.

It would be nice to be able to run the entire marathon with no walking breaks, but considering I still have not done that for a half marathon yet, that may be a little bit too tough.  But for now I'll focus on my half marathon.  I'll start setting goals for the marathon when it gets closer to that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment