Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Making Rocks

This weekend was spent in a combination of football viewing, some Christmas decorating around the house, and the baking of the rocks.  If you read my earlier blog you know that rocks are a family recipe that has been passed down for at least 3 generations.  I haven't made rocks in several years myself, but isn't it amazing how memories can come flooding back just from the smells that certain things create.  I remembered that it wasn't JUST the smell of fresh pine that brought back Christmas memories, but the smell of Christmas cookies (especially rocks) being baked.  I'm sitting here at work right now and I just went back to grab a couple of rocks...when I opened the tin the smell of the spices and brown sugar and walnuts took me back to some of my boyhood Christmases.  So allow me to share some of this with you.

First you cream together 2 cups of shortening with 3 cups of brown sugar





Then you add 4 well beaten eggs to the mixture


And mix well


Then add 1/2 tsp ground cloves, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp allspice, 1/4 tsp ginger and 1 tsp salt

Then dissolve 2 tsp baking soda in 4 tblsp of hot orange juice and add to mixture


Now comes the fun part... add 6 cups of flour, 2 lbs of walnuts and 2 lbs of dates (optional)...this part usually involves mixing with you hands so PLEASE wash your hands.



Put dough in muffin tins about 3/4 full.  You can use full size muffin tins or mini-muffin tins...your choice

And bake in 350 degree oven.  If using mini muffin tins bake for 15-20 min.  If using regular size tins bake for 25-30 min.


The rocks can be stored in metal tins (we used to use the Charlie Chips tin)

No comments:

Post a Comment