Sunday, November 13, 2011

Better News

After last week's news I thought I really needed to find something more positive in the news.  The fact is that, however horrific the "Penn State Events" were and are, there really is bad news out there every week.  So I thought, in the interest in staying positive, I would go on the local news website and look for some good news to highlight in this blog.  It was harder than I thought it would be. 

The headlines I found on the website included things like:

3 Hospitalized: Shot in East Columbus Apartment Complex
Shooting Victim Runs, Collapses in Store Parking Lot
Computers Stolen from OSU Building
Female Suspect Accused of Misuse of Credit Cards
Accused Mom Posts She's 'Unfit Mother' on Facebook

But, believe it or not, I was able to find something positive in the news.  A story out of Portsmouth, Ohio.  The headline... Ohio school has shy kids practice reading to dogs

The program, at a Portsmouth elementary school, had so many children interested that they couldn't all fit in the classroom.  Now I'm willing to bet that some of the kids that participated did so more because they liked the idea of being able to have some time with the dog, and not because they were quite as shy as some of the other kids.  But it's something positive...at some point someone started thinking outside the box to figure out a way to bring these kids out of their shells and help them to socialize a little more comfortably.  In a week that started with hearing about kids who were targeted as victims, it's nice to see a situation in which some people are trying to help kids and build their confidence.  I'll still be praying for those kids who were and are victims...but I'll be praying also for more teachers like those at Portsmouth West Elementary school too.

No comments:

Post a Comment