Thursday, October 27, 2011

Today's Run and Other Fun

Well the plan this morning was to run 2 miles at a nice easy pace.  I was able to accomplish that, and like most times when I run, felt refreshed afterwards.  But I do feel myself becoming increasingly bored with the treadmill.  The act of running in place while a belt spins under your feet does not do a good job of keeping one focused on running.  So I can tell that I will have to start running outdoors soon.  I'm looking forward to that.  Especially now that the weather is cooler.  When I started running my biggest problem was knowing how much to wear.  Running wear in the summer was easy to figure out...a pair of shorts and a good wicking technical shirt.  However, running in the fall and winter was a little more difficult.  I would always start off dressing comfortably, but by the time I was half way in to the run I was always way too warm.  A co-worker gave me a good piece of advise.  "Dress like it's 20 degrees warmer than it really is."  Once I started doing that, my comfort level during runs increased dramatically.  I never found myself getting too warm.  That served me very well while training through the winter for my first marathon.  I expect it will serve me well as I get back in to running through this fall and winter.

The cost of running is pretty minimal, unless I want to actually run in some events.  The cost of running in those events have gotten a tad bit more expensive.  It actually seems that most of the runs done in support of charities seem to cost less than the runs that are done just as promotional runs/money makers for running companies.  So I think it will be a while before I start running multiple events in a month (or a weekend) like I used to.  I'm thinking right now that I'll probably budget to do one run a month for now.  I'm really thinking about possibly doing the Myrtle Beach Half-Marathon in February...but that's a risky proposition.  In 2009, when I ran the marathon there, the weather was great.  It was unseasonably warm for Feb. and I was able to spend a week actually enjoying the beach.  But the following year they got snow and had to cancel the marathon.  Not something I'd be happy about if I actually spent the money to register, travel and stay in a hotel in Myrtle Beach.  So that's up in the air.  But I do plan to run the Columbus Half Marathon next year with one of my co-workers.  She didn't hit her goal of running the half in under 3 hours, so she's determined to do that next year.  For my part, I want to get back to the point of pushing myself for that extra distance.  Not sure that I'd ever do a full marathon again.  But the half marathon is long enough to require a lot of preparation and discipline, without being so long that I end up regretting it when it's too late. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment