Thursday, October 13, 2011

Running Again

Well, after quite a while of not running, I finally got back on the treadmill.  I woke up at 4:30 this morning to come in to work and run.  Having not run in quite a while, I had set the goal at a very slow 1 mile run on the treadmill.  I jumped on the treadmill to do a quick 5 minute warm-up run, planning on stretching, then getting back on the treadmill and running the 1 mile I had set out to do.
Instead, the warm-up turned in to the actual run, and after running the 1 mile I had planned, the music hadn't stopped, so I kept running.  Well...after that song ended another good running song came on the iPod, so I kept running.  I ended up running 1.5 miles.  Now it was a SLOW 1.5 miles, but it felt really good.  It felt great to get the heart rate up again, to feel those endorphins that are released when I run and to run 50% further than I had intended. 
I'm also registered for my first 5K event of the year.  On November 19 I'll be running the "Beat Michigan 5K" around the OSU campus area.  I'm thinking about registering for a couple more events before the end of the year, but not sure if that will happen as the registration costs for 5K's seem to have gone up quite a bit over the last couple of years.  I think the days of running 2, 3 or 4 events in a weekend are gone, but the joy I get from running is not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment