Thursday, December 14, 2017

2017 In Review

 1 - What did you do in 2017/will you do in 2018, that you have never done before?

Well, I think I'd have to say that I stepped outside my comfort zone a lot more in 2017 than I ever have in the past.  My continued immersion in to the world of ballroom dancing grew in ways I never expected.  It went from just learning how to do something different to going to several social dance events and beginning private lessons in order to become a better dancer and to get involved in ballroom dance competitions.  In 2018 I will further that journey, with plans to compete at Dancesport events in Denver, Indianapolis, Atlanta and Columbus.

2 - Did you keep your New Years Resolutions and will you make more for 2018?

I made three resolutions for 2017.  One was to run at least 1200 miles, which I did not accomplish.  The second was to run at least one mile every day this year.  I was going well in to March, but a couple days of sick time ended that streak.  The third was to get my weight down to 240 lbs.  While I did lose some weight, and continue to lose, it does not appear that I will get to the 240 mark before the end of the year.
As for 2018, yes I do think I'll make resolutions.  And I know this may come as a shock, but I have no doubt that running and dancing will be part of that.

3 - Did anyone close to you give birth?

On November 1 my best friend's daughter gave birth to a beautiful baby girl.  If I'm not seeing pictures and videos posted to Facebook, I do get pictures sent to me by Carey.  The little girl is adorable, and it's such a joy to be able to watch her as she begins discover the world around her.

4 - Did anyone close to you die?

I'm a little nervous to answer that question since the year isn't over with.  Not that I'm expecting it to happen in the next couple of weeks, but why tempt fate.  I did have someone I know who had a death in his family this week and I continue to keep him and his family in my thoughts and prayers.

5 - Which countries did you visit?

Stayed in the United States again in 2017.  There are some trips I'd like to take outside the U.S. in the future.  I'm not sure if I will leave the country in 2018.  I did take a few trips this year going to New York, Louisiana, Mississippi and Washington for running events.

6 - What would you like to have in 2018 that you lacked in 2017.

Part of that answer is a little too personal to share in this blog.  Overall I'm in pretty good shape though.  I've got what I need.  I could always use more, but I think I've had a pretty blessed year.

7 - What dates in 2017 will remain etched in your memory?

I don't know if "etched" is the right word.  But March 24, May 24 and November 1 were three dates this year that meant a lot to me.

8 - What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Completing my 6th marathon in New York was an accomplishment that I'm proud of.  I'm also happy with where I've come with dancing.  I'm not a great dancer.  Not sure I would even consider myself to be good dancer.  But I'm better today than I was on January 1.  But it's not really about the dance "skills" so much as it is about my willingness to get way outside my comfort zone through dancing.  I don't know if the people I know through dancing can really appreciate just how far outside my comfort zone dancing has taken me.

9 - What was your biggest failure of the year?

I still tend to get sucked in to the negative from time to time.  I still talk about others at times when I should be focusing on myself.  I think I've done a little better, but as long as it still happens, it's still a failure on my part.

10 - Did you suffer illness or injury this year?

Another question I want to be careful with.  No injuries (as I knock on wood).  I did take a couple of sick days early in 2017, but have done pretty well since then.

11 - What is the best thing you bought?

I didn't really make any great material purchases in 2017.  It will come as no surprise to most that the best thing I bought for myself was dance lessons.  I am pretty happy with the Christmas present I bought for my best friend this year.  Over the years it can be a little difficult to find the right gift, so I end up reverting to gift cards.  This year though, I found a gift that was perfect to symbolize and celebrate her year with her family.

12 - Whose behavior merited celebration?

I think about three people specifically whose behavior, in my opinion, is commendable.  Without naming them specifically, I will say that all three of them have been very willing to step up and go way out of their way to help others.  In some cases these are not just the "favors", but truly going above and beyond to help out when they can.

13 - Where did most of your money go?

Dancing and running.

14 - What did you get really really really excited about?

Do I really need to say "dancing" or is just implied at this point?

15 - What song will always remind you of 2017?

My dance instructor has a tendency to stick to a lot of the same songs in our lessons.  So, any of those songs will stick in my head.

16 - Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder?

I'm not sadder.  Don't know if I can say that I'm happier really.  I was pretty good this time last year and still have that same general optimism.

17 - What do you wish you'd done more of?

More running.  A lot of times this year I allowed myself to give in to excuses not to get out and run.  I need to continue to get out on the roads.

18 - What do you wish you'd done less of?

I think I'm good in this regard.

19 - What's your favorite TV program?

One of the things I've done this year was get rid of cable television.  I've got an antenna on all of my televisions.  Because of this, I actually do watch less television. 

20 - What was your favorite film this year?

Nothing really stood out in 2017,  Didn't do a lot of movie-going this year.

21 - What was the best book you read?

I didn't read any books in 2017

22 - How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2017?

I think I'd laugh if anyone asked me that question out loud. But it basically boils down to asking someone else to buy me clothing that they think would look good on my.

23 - What kept you sane?

Running/Dancing/Spending quality time with friends.

24 - What political issue stirred you the most?

I've grown tired of politics in general.  I've become jaded, or maybe a better word is realistic, about politics.  To coin a line from a movie, politicians are more interested in keeping their jobs than they are about doing their jobs.

So there's your ghost of 2017 past.


No comments:

Post a Comment