Sunday, May 21, 2017

State #32 and Dancing

I was looking at  my  last blog entry and chuckled some at what I'd written. I wrote about how I had found joy in my latest new hobby/physical activity. What I chuckled at  was my  thought at the time that I probably would not use what I was learning outside of the class. Since then however, I have expanded my experience with dancing. Not only am I continuing with the group classes, but my instructor had another student who was looking for a dance partner and the two of us are sharing in the "Ballroom Dance  Experience". (See what I did there?)

Meeting a total stranger for the first time in a private dance lesson is yet another experience that pushed me outside my comfort zone. In addition to the group lessons, and the individual lessons with my new dance partner, I have also been going out to "Couples dance parties" at a studio in Columbus. This has involved spending a couple of hours dancing. Sometimes with total strangers. A bit outside of my comfort zone? ABSOLUTELY!

So this week I will start my  5th time through the Beginners Ballroom Class. After many attempts at getting my co-workers to join me, I've finally found someone willing to give it a shot. I've also decided to take another leap of faith and  push myself a bit further with dancing and see what it's like to get involved in showcases and dancesport. I honestly have surprised myself with how much I've come to enjoy and appreciate this artform.

Having said all of that, I have not given up on my other passion. I am  still running, and I am starting my  training for the 2017 New York Marathon. Having run this race last year, I know it will be one I will thoroughly enjoy. In addition to that race, I have a few more races  scheduled for this year.

This weekend I will be traveling to Gonzales, LA. There I will run the Jambalaya Festival 5K & 1 mile runs. Louisiana will be State #32 in my quest to run a race in all 50 States. In August I will run the Dublin Irish Festival 5K, as I do every year. In the fall things start  getting busier. I will be running the Ohio State 4 Miler  (Which finishes on the 50 yard line of The Horseshoe), The Nationwide Children's Hospital Columbus Half Marathon, and the New York Marathon. Thanksgiving weekend I will once again travel to Cocoa Beach, FL for my fifth and final running of the Space Coast Half Marathon. Then, in December, I will travel to Biloxi, MS for State #33 and the Gulf Coast Half Marathon.

So this is where I'm at. No one is ever too old to grow. No one is ever too old to try and  better themselves. No one is ever too old to change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment