Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Christmas 2013

Well the day is still very early, but reading my brother's most recent blog entry I had to laugh as I pictured him dealing with the young child in church who had decided to make some changes to his Christmas Eve service.  My brother, who is a Methodist minister in Nebraska, has told me stories in the past at how his services have been "altered by the moment."  (haha..."altered"...get it?)

Anyway, it made me think about the Christmas Eve service I attended at my home church last night.  I attend the Westerville Community United Church of Christ.  After over 20 years at that church, the pastor retired, and in September a different pastor started with our church.  The few services I've been able to attend since Pastor Jay came to our church, he has made it a point to introduce himself to the congregation, and still calls himself the "very new senior minister".  I'm sure last night wasn't his first Christmas Eve service, but it was his first at WCUCC, and I'm sure he was trying to mix in his own traditions without disrupting our congregation's traditions also.  The pastor's family was at the service and sat one row in front of where I had found a seat.  One thing I've noticed about Pastor Jay is that he tends to get emotional.  One some point during every service I've attended, his voice has cracked or he's paused from the emotion that he's feeling with the message he's giving.  I wasn't sure how to feel about that at first.  My first thought was that it brought memories of Jim and Tammy Baker to mind, minus the mascara.  But sitting behind Pastor Jay's father, himself a retired minister, I noticed something.  Several times during the sermon the elder pastor was wiping his eyes.  This, I realized, is a family who have truly been called to ministry and who truly feel the message they are giving.

Anyway, getting back to my original point... The church was pretty crowded last night, and as people filed in and filled the seats, a brass quartet sat up front playing Christmas songs.  People were enjoying the music, but it was more in the background as they greeted each other, skimmed through the program, marked their spots in the Hymnals for the evening Hymns, looked for open seats, etc.  So as the quartet went from one song to another there really wasn't much notice....until...  A few rows up was a young child.  HE was enjoying the music, and when the quartet finished the song he was listening to, this young child stood up on his chair and began to applaud.  Of course, once he did this, everyone else joined in and there were a smattering of chuckles going through the church.

Then the service started and we got the Children's Sermon.  All the children went down front and Pastor Sigrid read them a children's counting book about Christmas that had been written by a member of our congregation.  As with my brother's service, there were several children who answered the questions loudly or would put in their own additions to the answers.  Then, as is tradition in our church, the baby Jesus figure was placed in his mother's arms in the Nativity set.  Pastor Sigrid added a star this year also, and the children let her know that she should place the star up higher...apparently where she originally placed it was too low for everyone to see??  Then a small cupcake was brought out, the candle lit in the cake and the children sang Happy Birthday to Jesus.

You all the know the words...or at least think you do.  The children of our congregation of course, had their own version, and they weren't afraid to share it.

Happy Birthday to you  (Cha cha cha)
Happy Birthday to you (CHA cha cha)
Happy Birthday dear Jesus (CHA CHA cha)
Happy Birthday to you (CHA CHA CHA)

As the children filed out I wondered to myself how, or if, Pastor Jay would react.  He stood up and said, as we preparing for the Christmas Eve offering, that he had only one word of inspiration for us before the offering.....cha cha cha.

On a completely different topic.  I've mentioned before that I've been pretty fortunate when it comes to working on Christmas Day.  I was in the Army for Christmas in 1984, 1985 & 1986.  Two of those years I was able to take leave and be home at Christmas.  For one of them I was stationed in Germany, and although I was not able to get home, I did spend the day with family, as my uncle was also in the Army and stationed in Germany during that time.  I've worked my current job as a Police/Fire/EMS/911 Dispatcher since 1998.  A job that obviously needs to be staffed, even on Christmas Day, but this year will only be the third time that I've worked Christmas Day.  I'll say it again, I've been pretty lucky.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment